Bracket Racing

Bracket Racing (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/)
-   Island Dragway (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/island-dragway-20/)
-   -   Island Racers... (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/island-dragway-20/island-racers-112/)

mikelbeck 09-26-2004 07:06 PM

Island Racers...

My neighbor went to Island yesterday. He said that Tech was very hard on him, picked on pretty much everything on his car.

Are they always like that, or was it just because he wasn't a regular?

BOSS VEGA V8 09-26-2004 07:14 PM

yea, they are pretty hard. they almost got me for not having a metal firewall behind the rear seat (my car is a notchback, so it is sealed except for 2 8inch holes)small track (short slowdown area) but i got 3 trial runs in 25 minutes! ran a best 12.8 at 107 with a 1.824 60 foot time (this is on 235/60/15 triummph sr radials! )

B3Cuda 09-26-2004 10:23 PM

Every time I have been there they are preety tough. Never benn stopped they only made recommendations to me.

I think it is good, some of the cars you see you really have to wonder.

mikelbeck 09-26-2004 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by B3Cuda
I think it is good, some of the cars you see you really have to wonder.

I think it's good, too... You don't want to see any unsafe cars going down the track.

But some of the things they've picked on my car for it the past have been kinda silly. I was thinking about racing at Island next season, but I will have to make some changes to my car before hand.

onehellofadart 09-27-2004 06:29 AM

Are you guys talking about Island, in Great meadows,nj? Last time I was there(3 weeks ago) I didn't even have to open my hood. Island has the esiest tech around I thought. Although first time I was there they went over the car with a fine tooth comb. Must be a newbee thing.

DARTSPORT 09-27-2004 07:40 AM

I had no trouble with tech when I was there earlier this year, about 5 minutes for them to go over the car.

B3Cuda 09-27-2004 10:08 AM

I guess it must matter who you get,

IMO I think E-town is about the easiest

mikelbeck 09-27-2004 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by B3Cuda
I guess it must matter who you get,

IMO I think E-town is about the easiest

They've never even looked at my car there. I roll up with the car on the trailer, hand the guy my tech card. He signs it and hands it back to me.

onehellofadart 09-27-2004 02:59 PM

Mikel, why are you thinking of switching tracks next year?

mikelbeck 09-27-2004 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by onehellofadart
Mikel, why are you thinking of switching tracks next year?

A few reasons.

First, I wasn't able to compete very much with the Heavy racers at Englishtown... Those guys are really good, much better than I am. From what I hear, the competition at Island isn't as fierce.

Next, Island races on Saturdays instead of Sundays.

Last, Island has a "split" points season. If you finish in the top few positions in the first half, you've made the finals.

onehellofadart 09-27-2004 03:18 PM

Good reasons. I find the people alot nicer, more comraderie,(don't know if I spelled that right). Its just a nicer day there. Just a hell of alot of mountains to climb to get there.

mikelbeck 09-27-2004 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by onehellofadart
Good reasons. I find the people alot nicer, more comraderie,(don't know if I spelled that right). Its just a nicer day there. Just a hell of alot of mountains to climb to get there.

Yeah, that's what I heard. Plus another bridge to cross (for me, anyway).

I was hoping to get these at least once this season, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. I think that the next time I'm going out will probably be Atco in the beginning of November. Then that's it for this year.

onehellofadart 09-27-2004 04:03 PM

I'm gonna do one more T & T. with this set up I have now.
Get me some slicks for next season.

fastbackcuda 09-27-2004 09:19 PM

I didnt think they were really hard on Rory. Just told him he should have a driveshaft loop. firewall behind his cell and a second return spring on the carb.

The track is funny. Its in the middle of a farm. It doesnt look like much has changed since the 60's. However there was way to amny Vegas their :mrgreen:

Although I did find this nice 68 Barracuda.

mikelbeck 09-27-2004 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by fastbackcuda
I didnt think they were really hard on Rory. Just told him he should have a driveshaft loop. firewall behind his cell and a second return spring on the carb.

What does his car run?

My neighbor's car is capable of running 9's (in good air), maybe that's why they gave him such a hard time...?

fastbackcuda 09-27-2004 09:29 PM

He was running high 12s. best pass of 12.84 slowest was 13.00.
It was his first time out with the car and was 60fting in the 1.80s on a 235-60-15 street radial :shock:

mikelbeck 09-27-2004 09:41 PM

He was running high 12s. best pass of 12.84 slowest was 13.00.
It was his first time out with the car and was 60fting in the 1.80s on a 235-60-15 street radial :shock:

Ok, so that's probably why...

B3Cuda 09-27-2004 10:50 PM

Island seems like a quicker track too, my car will usually 60' better. Has anyone else ever noticed this, even a few buddies have said the same thing.

onehellofadart 09-28-2004 07:50 AM

I have experienced a little quicker 60's there also.

fastbackcuda 09-28-2004 08:38 AM

Fom what people were saying was the track was hooking pretty good. Better then it usually does. It had a fresh coat of VHT on it.

82GT 09-28-2004 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mikelbeck

Last, Island has a "split" points season. If you finish in the top few positions in the first half, you've made the finals.

Mikel, since we're neighbors, how does the commute compare between the 2 tracks, I would prefer racing on Saturdays.

How exactly does the split season work?

mikelbeck 09-28-2004 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 82GT

Mikel, since we're neighbors, how does the commute compare between the 2 tracks, I would prefer racing on Saturdays.

How exactly does the split season work?

I haven't been there, but my neighbor went this past Saturday. It normally takes us about 2-1/2 hours to get to E-town, and we leave at 6 AM since racing starts at 10 AM. He left this past Saturday at 8 AM (racing starts at 1 PM) and got to Island in 2 hours.

As for the split season, I'm assuming that the top few from the first half and the top few from the second half are automatically in the finals. But I'm not positive.

Is there anybody here who knows for sure?

Where on LI are you?

82GT 09-28-2004 10:11 AM

Where on LI are you?

Sunny Medford (well not today), right off Mill Rd.

quick5pnt0 09-28-2004 12:15 PM

I've never had any problems with tech at island but that is probably because of the three times i was there twice was with a almost stock car, and the other was with a sportbike.

Island is alot nicer of a place to race than etown. When you sit in the lanes of etown by yourself you usually sit there the whole time talking to yourself, but every time i've been to island i had people walking up to me starting conversations. At etown the motorcycle drag racers act like their $hit don't stink, but at island the motorcycle guys (at least the one's i've met) treat you as if you're a regular.

Besides that at island you can sit in the lanes and somewhat see some of the racing, but at etown all you have to look at is the back side of the grand stands. It doesn't help much that you spend almost the whole time at etown in the lanes, while at island you get a crapload of runs. (or at least you used to, i haven't been there in two years)

sickt7cuda 09-29-2004 04:01 PM

I know that car. It's owned by a guy named Cris Kulp. He's got 340 emblems on it but it's a 440. He usually runs 10.8 at 123 mph. At the tree, he's pure evil, usually cutting no worse than an .030 ! I ran against him in the 2nd round of the $10,000 Footbrake Race this year at Island. I cut an .025 light to his .012 He got me at the tree. He's a real nice guy.....except at the tree.

mikelbeck 09-29-2004 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by sickt7cuda
I know that car. It's owned by a guy named Cris Kulp. He's got 340 emblems on it but it's a 440. He usually runs 10.8 at 123 mph. At the tree, he's pure evil, usually cutting no worse than an .030 ! I ran against him in the 2nd round of the $10,000 Footbrake Race this year at Island. I cut an .025 light to his .012 He got me at the tree. He's a real nice guy.....except at the tree.

What car?

fastbackcuda 09-29-2004 07:25 PM

Mikel 1 page back I posted a pick of a blue Barracuda.

I talked with him a few times. Seemed like a nice guy. I saw him click off a 10.76. He said the 440 has pretty stock 906s on it. Just gasket matched. :shock:

mikelbeck 09-29-2004 07:28 PM

Mikel 1 page back I posted a pick of a blue Barracuda.

I talked with him a few times. Seemed like a nice guy. I saw him click off a 10.76. He said the 440 has pretty stock 906s on it. Just gasket matched. :shock:

Oh, ok. I get it now.

Sorry, I'm a little dense today. ](*,)