Bracket Racing

Bracket Racing (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/)
-   Racing Updates (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/racing-updates-53/)
-   -   This past weekend... (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/racing-updates-53/past-weekend-873/)

mikelbeck 09-19-2006 09:03 PM

This past weekend...

So, I went to Atco on Saturday and Englishtown on Sunday...

Atco had a $5k footbrake race. My car was running good, ran a 12.38 1st time run and a 12.44 2nd time run. So I dialed a 12.40.

1st round I go up, do my burnout, throw it into neutral to clear out the motor and then put it in 1st gear. Nothing. Put it in 2nd gear, nothing. 3rd gear, reverse, the same. The starting line guy comes over, asks what's wrong, I tell him I have no gears. So they try to push the car back, it won't move. They put it up on rollers and roll it away. When I get back to my put I find that the shifter cable broke and slammed the tranny into park. Good thing there's a speed shop at Atco, they had a new cable. I spent an hour or so getting the old one out, then another hour getting the new one in. Fixed, good as new. But I didn't get to race.

So then it's off to Englishtown on Sunday. When we get to the track I ask my buddy to help me check my throttle linkage to make sure it was opening all the way. Of course, it wasn't... So we fixed that.

1st time run was a 12.34, 2nd was a 12.35. So I dialed a 12.35 since it was getting hotter. I was up against a guy in a VW bug that had a 12.70 on the window. He came out of the hole and fell on his face, so I just kinda eased out and paced him all the way down the track. At the end I slammed it and hit the brakes when I was sure I was ahead of him, ran a 13.50 something and won.

2nd round I dialed a 12.32... while I was sitting in the staging lanes the motor was getting hotter and hotter and the volts were staying around 12, I kept trying to cool it off but it wouldn't. So when I got to the line it was around 200. Bogged out of the hole (of course), and ran a 12.48. By the time I got to the end of the track it was around 230 with less than 12 volts. So up on the trailer it went, I haven't even thought about having a look to see what the problem is this time.

To top it all off, all the way home my trailer brakes didn't work. The tail lights worked, but the brakes didn't. I think I've got a short in the plug, or there's something wrong with the brake controller.

At least we got away for the weekend. ;-) :wiggle:

Here's some pics from the E-Town track photographer:

http://www.davemilcarek.com/091706/p...7-1D%20049.htm
http://www.davemilcarek.com/091706/p...7-1D%20105.htm

onehellofadart 09-20-2006 06:36 AM

You ran good times!!

mikelbeck 09-20-2006 09:29 AM

Thanks!

It would've been nice to have run a few rounds at Atco, though...

I think I'm done for the season, I'm gonna take the car off the trailer and put it in the garage. I've got some big plans for the winter. ;-)

onehellofadart 09-20-2006 05:41 PM

Well?!

mikelbeck 09-20-2006 05:57 PM

Well what?

Mopower71 09-20-2006 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by mikelbeck (Post 4214)
Thanks!

I've got some big plans for the winter. ;-)

What Are the Big Plans?

mikelbeck 09-21-2006 09:00 PM

Hmmm... Let's see what's on my list.

1. Replace the X heads with Edelbrocks or Indys. Gotta save some cash for this one.
2. Replace the stock radiator with the aluminum jammie that's been sitting on the floor of the garage for the last 3 years or so.
3. Replace the stock dizzy with the MSD unit that's been up on the shelf for longer than the radiator.
4. Remove all the decals from the outside of the car, sand it down and paint it. I'm thinking about running in Top Street next season, so I've gotta make it look a little more stock... Put in a 2nd seat, carpeting, etc. If I don't do that then I'm gonna come up with a name for the car and have it painted on the side with gold leaf lettering.

I think that's it... at least for now, I'm sure the list will get longer as it gets closer to the winter.

onehellofadart 09-22-2006 08:07 AM

Sounds great Mikel!!!

The repaint, same color?

mikelbeck 09-22-2006 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by onehellofadart (Post 4219)
Sounds great Mikel!!!

The repaint, same color?

Probably not... I'm thinking Plum Crazy. My wife hates the car, but loves anything purple, so that may change her mind. Probably not, though. :(

Mopower71 09-22-2006 12:14 PM

I alwas wanted to paint my Demon or dart Plum CrAzY. I think it looks real cool.
BoB Shingler over at Bigblockdart has a plum CrAzY Demon, don't know if you have seen it.
The range on my Demon has grown on me. I actually just want to repaint it the same color now. It's Loud. unlike the purple, so it stands out more.
Good luck on the upgrades.
Any more problems with the coolant leaking into the engine?
I have burned 2 of those shifter cables, It's such a pain.
I ended up making a heat shield built off of one of the header tubes, which has stopped the problem.

mikelbeck 09-22-2006 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower71 (Post 4221)
Any more problems with the coolant leaking into the engine?

I haven't even taken the car off the trailer yet, been way too busy. :-(

I have burned 2 of those shifter cables, It's such a pain.
I ended up making a heat shield built off of one of the header tubes, which has stopped the problem.
It didn't look like it was burned at all, just broken. It broke right past when it goes through the floor from the shifter, I think the turn may have been too sharp and it just wore out over time.

onehellofadart 09-22-2006 06:51 PM

Is it forward or rear entry to the shifter?

mikelbeck 09-24-2006 05:26 PM

It's forward... There's a hole in the floor where the cable goes down to the tranny. I don't know if it's a stock hole or not, but that's what I use.