Bracket Racing

Bracket Racing (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/)
-   Tech (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/tech-27/)
-   -   Electric Fuel pumps. (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/tech-27/electric-fuel-pumps-528/)

onehellofadart 07-04-2005 08:40 AM

Electric Fuel pumps.

:-k I've been thinking that maybe my problem on top end is
lose of fuel pressure. I am running a mechanical fuel pump
and think I might need to go to a electric fuel pump.

What do you guys recommend?
I've been thinking of a Holley Blue pump.

What do you guys use and recommend.
My Dart is Street/Strip.

82GT 07-04-2005 10:06 AM

I have the blue pump on my car. I drove it on the street for over a year with no issues.

The only problem is the pump is noisy. I have it dead headed at the regulator. I'm going to add a by-pass once I get it back together.

sickt7cuda 07-04-2005 02:35 PM

I got a 120 gph pump from Summit. It came in a kit with a fuel pressure regulator. About $110. It looks just like the Holley (probably made by Holley).

onehellofadart 07-04-2005 04:36 PM

How noisy is it Dan?

sickt7cuda 07-04-2005 07:36 PM

Well, my noiseometer is out for calibration...............

Seriously, it's not quiet. Hard to quantify though. The sound kind of reverberates throughout the car without the motor running, but of course, I don't have any sound deadener material in the cab area either.

Once the motor is (was) running, all sound is (was) drowned out.

If you cruise alot on the streets, it might not be best for you. Are you keeping your fuel tank or changing to a fuel cell?

onehellofadart 07-04-2005 07:50 PM

No I'm keeping the fuel tank.
There is a lot I'd like to do.
I have to keep telling myself,
](*,) "It's a street car" ](*,) "It's a street car" ](*,)

sickt7cuda 07-05-2005 05:37 PM

Yeah, I've had that same discussion with myself - it's a street car - no, it's a drag car...... unfortunately, it's hard to have both.

1BadMirada 07-05-2005 11:26 PM

in michigan, everything goes..i just need someplace to put my car..lol

i have a holley pump and its VERY noisy...it has been many years since it went in...i dont recall the model

racedak440 07-06-2005 01:00 AM

Re: Electric Fuel pumps.

Originally Posted by onehellofadart
:-k I've been thinking that maybe my problem on top end is
lose of fuel pressure. I am running a mechanical fuel pump
and think I might need to go to a electric fuel pump.

What do you guys recommend?
I've been thinking of a Holley Blue pump.

What do you guys use and recommend.
My Dart is Street/Strip.

Hi there, been really busy and have not been on line too much lately, and was doing some catching up and I saw your post and thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth.

While I don't know what your car is doing on top end (laying down, popping,etc) I was just curious, are you running a cool can? When I used to run my street Mopars on the track (the ones that had a mech pump) I almost always had a problem with vapour lock at the top end. If you don't have a cool can, borrow one from somebody and see what happens. Now installing an electric pump will eliminate any vapour lock problems, but there are many capable mechanical pumps that will give you equivalent fuel pressure & volume as a holley blue pump, without the noise and the hassle of changing a lot of things around to put one in. Having said that, if you do go to an electric pump, the holley blue pump is the one to go with.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. :)
Jim

onehellofadart 07-06-2005 07:44 AM

Talked to my motor guy yesterday. He feels the problem is the motor is not getting enough air. Says the first thing I should try is to get more air in the carb via Diff hood with scoop and carb tray.
Said that is prob the reason I dropped mph.
What do you guys think?

sickt7cuda 07-06-2005 10:29 AM

More air? I would go along with cooler air having an affect on horsepower, but not necessarily more air. Some NASCAR events require the use of restrictor plates (pretty small bores) and they still manage to run very well.

I think air/fuel ratio is the thing to hone in on. Did your motor guy take a reading?

onehellofadart 07-06-2005 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sickt7cuda
More air? I would go along with cooler air having an affect on horsepower, but not necessarily more air. Some NASCAR events require the use of restrictor plates (pretty small bores) and they still manage to run very well.

I think air/fuel ratio is the thing to hone in on. Did your motor guy take a reading?

No but he dyno'd it without a air filter. Told me from the beginning he was not happy with what I had for an air cleaner and the motor would need more air than the air cleaner would allow.

mikelbeck 07-06-2005 01:18 PM

Talked to my motor guy yesterday. He feels the problem is the motor is not getting enough air. Says the first thing I should try is to get more air in the carb via Diff hood with scoop and carb tray.
Said that is prob the reason I dropped mph.
What do you guys think?

Pfffhhhttt.

Until recently, I was running without an air cleaner, and without the carb sealed to the hood. No fuel issues on the top end, no popping, no nothing.

For a while I had a velocity stack thing that was too close to the hood, I doubt I was getting much air in there at all. Again, no fuel issues... But it did go faster when I took it off.

Sealing the carb to the hood will help, but I don't think it'll fix your problem.

onehellofadart 07-06-2005 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by mikelbeck
Pfffhhhttt.

Until recently, I was running without an air cleaner, and without the carb sealed to the hood. No fuel issues on the top end, no popping, no nothing.

For a while I had a velocity stack thing that was too close to the hood, I doubt I was getting much air in there at all. Again, no fuel issues... But it did go faster when I took it off.

Sealing the carb to the hood will help, but I don't think it'll fix your problem.

May I ask what you think my problem might be?
Seriously I'm looking for help and advice!!!!

mikelbeck 07-06-2005 02:26 PM

May I ask what you think my problem might be?

If you're still running the same combo as you were when I did your car in Desktop Dyno/Drag, it's pretty close... DD says 12.92 @ 103 MPH, you ran 12.99 @ 103.

Are you on slicks or street tires?

With that short time it should've been a little quicker, though.

onehellofadart 07-06-2005 02:27 PM

M/T drag radials @ 15lbs

mikelbeck 07-06-2005 02:37 PM

M/T drag radials @ 15lbs

That's what I thought. I think you're pretty close to what you should be running... That's assuming the air was around 2900 feet.

What makes you think it's a fuel problem? Is it falling on it's face at the top end? What were your RPMs at the top? DD says 6300, is that about right?

Why were you leaving at 1100 RPM?

onehellofadart 07-06-2005 02:50 PM

I left @ 1100 on the builders advice to let the convertor do its job, and it worked with a better 60'
Crossed the traps @ around 6000rpm.
No It is not falling not breaking up I have had it as high as 6600rpm no break up.

I left off Idle about 1100rpm to get that 60'
Ishifted to 2nd as the light went on @ 5800rpm and held it to 6100rpm till I shifted 3rd.

Do you think I might be better off short shifting to 3rd @ 5600rpm to let it pull me more in 3rd?

On one run I shifted 2nd & 3rd @ 5800 same results 12.991 instead of 12.998
Maybe I should get into 3rd more in the torque curve?

mikelbeck 07-06-2005 03:16 PM

I left @ 1100 on the builders advice to let the convertor do its job, and it worked with a better 60'

How high can you bring it up on the converter before it starts creeping?

No It is not falling not breaking up I have had it as high as 6600rpm no break up.
So what makes you think there's a fuel delivery problem?

I left off Idle about 1100rpm to get that 60'
Ishifted to 2nd as the light went on @ 5800rpm and held it to 6100rpm till I shifted 3rd.

Do you think I might be better off short shifting to 3rd @ 5600rpm to let it pull me more in 3rd?

On one run I shifted 2nd & 3rd @ 5800 same results 12.991 instead of 12.998
Maybe I should get into 3rd more in the torque curve?
Based on that, DD says you should run 12.90 @ 103 MPH.

It also says that if you shift 1-2 and 2-3 @ 6300, you'd run 12.65 @ 108 MPH. You're still making horsepower up past 6000, it starts to fall off around 6500. At least that's what DD says, your dyno sheet may say something different.

onehellofadart 07-06-2005 04:07 PM

How high can you bring it up on the converter before it starts creeping?

I've had it as high as 3200rpm no problem.

Fuel or air because of loss of 2.5 MPH

Based on that, DD says you should run 12.90 @ 103 MPH.

It also says that if you shift 1-2 and 2-3 @ 6300, you'd run 12.65 @ 108 MPH. You're still making horsepower up past 6000, it starts to fall off around 6500. At least that's what DD says, your dyno sheet may say something different.

dyno sheet says 414.0 hp @6200 rpm then starts to fall off & 404.3lbs of tq @ 4600 rpm

mikelbeck 07-06-2005 04:32 PM

Fuel or air because of loss of 2.5 MPH

Air gets my vote! When was the last time you were out?

I went out on 5/29, DA was 2146, I ran 12.53 @ 106.19. On 6/29, DA was 3717, I ran 12.65 @ 105.36.

dyno sheet says 414.0 hp @6200 rpm then starts to fall off & 404.3lbs of tq @ 4600 rpm
So why would you shift so much lower than that? I'd spin it up to at least 6200 before shifting. My motor peaks at 5200, I shift at 5400. Any lower and it goes slower. Any higher and it goes slower, too. I found that 5400 is the sweet spot.

onehellofadart 07-06-2005 04:52 PM

Air is what the builder said.

Last time out was 7/3/05 this past Sunday.

So more experimenting with shift points it is before I invest any more $$$$.

Thanks for the suggestions!!! 8)

sreeja 11-07-2007 01:11 AM

I recommend the holly blue pump.