Bracket Racing

Bracket Racing (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/)
-   Tech (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/tech-27/)
-   -   How much faster? (https://www.northeastbracketracing.com/forums/tech-27/how-much-faster-277/)

mikelbeck 03-03-2005 01:33 PM

How much faster?

Looking for predictions. Here's what I'm doing:

- Replacing the stock drum brakes with a Wilwood lightweight disk setup.
- Replacing the stock cast-iron master cylinder with a lightweight alumunum Mopar unit.
- Replacing the stock Mopar distributor with an MSD Billet unit.
- Replacing the .048 thick head gaskets with .039 thick gaskets.
- Getting rid of the coolant leaking into the oil.
- Replacing the stock 19" 2 row radiator with a 26" alumunim radiator.
- Replacing the 60A alternator with an 80A 1-wire unit, upgrading the wire to 4ga.

I know that none of these are real performance enhancements, aside from the distributor & maybe head gaskets. But it all should lighten the car up some. How much faster do you think it'll go?

onehellofadart 03-03-2005 02:21 PM

I know you would like to hear .2 but prob be less than .1.
How much compression gain are you getting from the
replacement gasket?
Also does current set up call for more compression?

mikelbeck 03-03-2005 02:34 PM

The compression would go from 10.26 to 10.50.

sickt7cuda 03-03-2005 03:35 PM

I'd say the changes are probably good for .1 to .15 which gets you ever so close to the 11's How about some bowl blending and chamber polishing, or did you already put the heads back on?

mikelbeck 03-03-2005 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sickt7cuda
I'd say the changes are probably good for .1 to .15 which gets you ever so close to the 11's How about some bowl blending and chamber polishing, or did you already put the heads back on?

The heads are going back on this weekend, if all goes well.

These heads were already ported, polished & milled, I really wasn't planning on doing anything else to them.

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 02:06 PM

Now what if I threw a new 9.5" 3500-4000 RPM converter into the mix? The one I have now is an 11" that doesn't let me go over 2000 (footbraking) before creeping.

onehellofadart 03-14-2005 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by mikelbeck
Now what if I threw a new 9.5" 3500-4000 RPM converter into the mix? The one I have now is an 11" that doesn't let me go over 2000 (footbraking) before creeping.

I would say now you would have to devote some attention to
the rear suspension.
By the way I'm haveing the same Size and stall speed put in mine as we type :mrgreen:
And if you hook I would now say you can p/up .2 to .35 seconds

sickt7cuda 03-14-2005 03:23 PM

I'd have to agree with Tony, leaning more towards .30, if it's well tuned.

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 03:25 PM

I'd have to agree with Tony, leaning more towards .30, if it's well tuned.

Woohoo!

{ edit }

ATTENTION TONY. THE FOLLOWING QUESTION IS FOR YOU:
Why do you say I have to work on the suspension? I haven't had any traction problems, I put new springs in last season... ?

{ /edit }

sickt7cuda 03-14-2005 03:37 PM

I didn't say you had to work on the suspension, that was Tony. :poke:

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 03:39 PM

I didn't say you had to work on the suspension, that was Tony. :poke:

Right. I just threw it out there, hoped Tony would pick up on it. I'll fix it...

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 03:40 PM

Better? ;-)

onehellofadart 03-14-2005 04:01 PM

The reason I said that is, I believe most of the et increase will
come from your 60' if you install the new convertor. I remember you saying you replaced the leaf springs, :-k don't remember you changing your shocks. I think you may have to go with an adjustable shock.
Going from leaving @ 2000rpm to 3500-4000 rpm is gonna be a great shock to you rear wheels/suspension. I noticed with my car leaving harder resulted in a little bounceing. Had to readjust the shocks then it was fine. Again just a thought.

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by onehellofadart
come from your 60' if you install the new convertor. I remember you saying you replaced the leaf springs, :-k don't remember you changing your shocks. I think you may have to go with an adjustable shock.
Going from leaving @ 2000rpm to 3500-4000 rpm is gonna be a great shock to you rear wheels/suspension. I noticed with my car leaving harder resulted in a little bounceing. Had to readjust the shocks then it was fine. Again just a thought.

When I put in the Pro-Stock springs (Mancini), I put in a set of the Mopar "drag racing" extra-long shocks to go along with the larger spring arch.

onehellofadart 03-14-2005 04:14 PM

When I put in the Pro-Stock springs (Mancini), I put in a set of the Mopar "drag racing" extra-long shocks to go along with the larger spring arch.

Didn't recall that. :buttkick: Never mind then

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 04:18 PM

Ha! You used the new smilie! You get 1 point for that.

I guess I'll have to wait to get it out to the track to see if I have any traction issues. With my luck, I'll twist one of the tubes off the rear on my first pass. :roll:

I'd be happy with a 3 tenth improvement, though.

sickt7cuda 03-14-2005 04:54 PM

Pro Stock springs??? You mean Super Stock, don't you?

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 07:14 PM

Pro Stock springs??? You mean Super Stock, don't you?

They're Mancini's version of the Super Stock springs. They call them "Pro Stock" springs. But they're the same thing, otherwise.

Mopower71 03-14-2005 09:13 PM

Ha! You used the new smilie! You get 1 point for that.

I guess I'll have to wait to get it out to the track to see if I have any traction issues. With my luck, I'll twist one of the tubes off the rear on my first pass. :roll:

I'd be happy with a 3 tenth improvement, though.

Looking for that 11 sec. pass are you?

Just don't do this.
http://www.gamespp.org/ftp_stormin/axlel.jpg

mikelbeck 03-14-2005 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower71
Looking for that 11 sec. pass are you?

Yeah man!

I'll try not to...

Mopower71 03-14-2005 09:54 PM

340. 4spd, 4:88's did that one in.
Put a nice little twist in it.
The little things I had to fix #-o

onehellofadart 03-15-2005 07:23 AM

Norm was that a stock or after market axle?

Mopower71 03-15-2005 08:06 PM

I think those were resplined.
This is why I have a problem with certian parts like resplined axles and wheel adapters/spacers. I've been there done that and I know they won't hold up, at least not for me.