General Forum Anything goes in this forum.

Reply Subscribe

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 08:01 PM

What modifications would you guys do first, on a 87-93 5.0 mustang to get it down the track faster? Things that really make a diffrence and arent too expensive. I was thinking about an exahust system (h or x-pipe), a small nitrous kit, and maybe some slicks for starters. If you had a budget of around $2500 what would be the best things to get [/b]
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 AM

Hey Shicaca,

Welcome to the site by the way, glad to have another blue oval around.

I guess the first thing you should do is decide what you want to do with the car. If your looking for the quickest ET, nitrous is cheap and easy, however if your looking for a bracket bomber then you need to ensure consistency, not that it can’t be done with nitrous however it get costly with timers, bottle warmers and the other needed items to make it consistent.

For $2500 you can get most of the items on your list. Are you a do it yourself guy? If not you’ll need to budget in labor. I would also look into getting yourself a set of gears. I tried a 28” tall slick with 3.27 gears and just ended up bogging the motor down.

I have taken my Mustang from 15.70’s @ 88 mph to 13.50’s @ 101mph. At the track the most noticeable change I made on the car was when I put in sub-frame connecters. It was like driving a different car.

Don’t forget the cheapest easiest way to make power, give the car a good tune-up. Are you familiar with MM&FF 10 minute tune-up? Get yourself a K&N filter, remove the air silencer, set your timing (usually a good baseline is 10-14 degrees). At the track remove that front sway bar, you can free up some power by bypassing the power steering.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the info. Im planning on doing most of the work myself with the help of my brother who is a mechanic. Im really looking foward to drag racing at e-town and maybe entering some compititions for fun. When do you guys think the road course is going to open thier.