Tech Racing Tech

Brakes have me baffled!

Reply Subscribe
Old 05-19-2005, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

I believe the clunk is the Master. Maybe that home made o ring is not working. See if there is any fluid on the push rod that is in there now.
The adapter plate is what 1/2" total thick?
Maybe you need an adjustable push rod to cure the long travel.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:10 AM

It sounds like you're not getting full travel of the piston in the Master and that's why you gotta pump it a couple of times to build up the pressure. I would check the line pressure first. PSI range can go up to 1700 but you'll never get that high without a booster. You should get 600psi or so.

If line pressure is low, you may need to extend the rod into the MC. Before you go out and buy one, try juryrigging an extension to ensure full travel and see if line pressure increases.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mikelbeck
Originally Posted by onehellofadart
I believe the clunk is the Master. Maybe that home made o ring is not working. See if there is any fluid on the push rod that is in there now.
What does it mean if there's fluid on the pushrod?

Fluid would be pushing through the seal.

The adapter plate is what 1/2" total thick?
Maybe you need an adjustable push rod to cure the long travel.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...

Once I have an adjustable pushrod, how do I know how much to adjust it? Should I just pull the old one, measure the thinkness of the adapter plate and make the new one that much longer than the old one?
I would think so.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sickt7cuda
It sounds like you're not getting full travel of the piston in the Master and that's why you gotta pump it a couple of times to build up the pressure. I would check the line pressure first. PSI range can go up to 1700 but you'll never get that high without a booster. You should get 600psi or so.

If line pressure is low, you may need to extend the rod into the MC. Before you go out and buy one, try juryrigging an extension to ensure full travel and see if line pressure increases.
Unfortunately, I don't have any way to check the line pressure.

If the pushrod is longer, wouldn't I have to push the brake pedal more to get the same effect? I'm thinking if it's longer, when I'm off the brake it's going to move the pedal up the difference between my current pushrod and the longer pushrod. Then I'd have to move it that much more? Or is that wrong?
I would think if it is the problem that the push rod is to short that when you extend it you would not have to pump it up to complete the stroke of the Master. If the rod is too short now has it effected your pedal return position now?
Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by onehellofadart
I would think if it is the problem that the push rod is to short that when you extend it you would not have to pump it up to complete the stroke of the Master. If the rod is too short now has it effected your pedal return position now?
I'm not sure if the pedal is any different from what it was with the old master, I never really took notice of where it was before.

I been thinking about this... If it's too short, it's not making it all the way into the master, so I'm not getting the full effect of stepping on the pedal, right? With a longer one, the pedal may sit a little higher initially, but when I step on it, it'll go further into the master, moving more fluid, and giving more stopping power. Does that sound right?
I think thats what I said.
I don't know why there would be such a price diff in the same part.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 PM

I been thinking about this... If it's too short, it's not making it all the way into the master, so I'm not getting the full effect of stepping on the pedal, right? With a longer one, the pedal may sit a little higher initially, but when I step on it, it'll go further into the master, moving more fluid, and giving more stopping power. Does that sound right?
Sounds right to me.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:40 PM

It is my understanding that when you change over to the new style master cylinder that you need to use the adjustable pushrod,

I am not sure how it works exactly but you need to watch out for the brake pedal ratio as well. You could wind up needing more foot pressure to make it stop.

As for the spongy pedal did you bench bleed the master before installing it ?? This is very important to do.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:26 PM

"You Da Man"!

Now go do some Racin'!!!!
Old 05-27-2005, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Glad you found the problem. =D>