Tech Racing Tech

Wilwood rear disk brakes

Reply Subscribe
Old 11-19-2004, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Wilwood rear disk brakes

So who's running Wilwood rear disk brakes with a stock type newer style master cylinder.
Did you have to pull the check valve out of the master, so the line pressure wouldn't hold?
I remember doing this when I put a manual master from a drum set up on my car that had a disk/drum set up.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Not me, front disc only. I thought of it when I upgraded
to 15" all around. But didn't have the extra, EXTRA cash.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:05 PM

Norm, I converted from drums to Wildwoods in the rear. The front I converted from 9" drums to a Mopar disc set-up from a 73-76 A-Body. I had to change the Master Cylinder to one meant for disc brakes. At the parts store you can ask for one for a LeBaron or a Park Avenue. That check valve (as I recall) was located in the old master, so it went when I swapped it out. I also trashed the distribution block when I installed the Line Lock...you don't need it. The Wildwoods are an easy install.
Old 11-21-2004, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Tonight I jacked up the rear of the car to see if it was actually holding the brakes on. Before i touched any thing I turned the rear wheels with the tranny in neutral No resistance except for the driveline. Pushed the brake pedal once and tried again, same thing, no binding. So I pumped the pedal quite a few times the turned the wheels hmmm no binding. So I'm going to assume that it has the right master in it. That's the good news.
I tried to turn the wheels backwards and that's when it's hard to turn.
I do have a spool in the rear but I would figure it would turn the same both ways. It could be the tranny dragging the one band. I saw this in the tranny I had in my Charger. With the pan and vb out you could turn it one way and it was fine, turn it the other and you could watch the band shift crooked and bind on the drum.
I also pulled the front wheel off just for a look see. Hmm odd. the calipers are held on with 2 retaining plates on top of the caliper instead of riding on bolts screwed into the back. Is this a stock setup? I'll have to look into this. The fronts do drag more than I would like, But that's just the piston holding it like that.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:18 PM

Yeah, those plates are the stock set up. Switching to Wildwoods in the front would save about 60 lbs, that translates to a quicker ET of about .060 You probably have the one piece rotors loke I do, and they are very heavy. I don't have any idea why your wheels are harder to rotate in reverse than foward. There must be a logical reason, I just don't know what it is. Try asking on the Big Block Dart board.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Dan, Is your car an automatic?
Old 11-23-2004, 03:13 PM

Yeah, an automatic. 727 with a reverse pattern manual valve body (Cheetah). It also has a Moser full spool.